Caitlin's Blog











{March 29, 2010}   *Project #5*

This was by far my favorite project so far because I was able to be as creative as I wanted and I was able to use my family as my subject for the website. Although we only had to make three different pages, I had four ideas, so I decided to just make all four pages. I spent a lot of time in the computer lab making sure that everything that I wanted included on the website was there and that everything looked perfect to me. Although I like how my website is right now, in the future I was thinking about adding pages for each separate family member with links on both the names on the home page, as well as on the family tree. I think that by doing this, the website would be greatly improved.



{March 8, 2010}   *Project #4*

I really enjoyed this project because it gave me the opportunity to not only make an ad for something that I love, but also to be as creative as I wanted. When trying to decide what I would make an advertisement on, I thought about using one of the pictures from our product shoot for Project #3, but I decided that I would rather choose something different. I decided to do my project on the Boston Red Sox, simply because it’s something I love and it’s the organization or product that I have the most pictures of. I used two of my own pictures for this advertisement, one of the Red Sox mascot, Wally, and one of all of the broadcasting booths and the Fenway Park sign.

The three Photoshop tools that I used the most in this project were the magnetic magic wand, the eyedropper, and the random shape. I had to use the magnetic magic wand in order to cut the body of Wally out of the picture that he was in so that I could copy and paste him into the advertisement. I was happy with the final product, but I wish that the cutout of him looked a little smoother. I used the eyedropper a lot in this project because I wanted to ensure that all the colors in the picture were the same. The background, the text, and the logo are all colored with the same shades of blue and red, the Red Sox colors. Lastly, I used the random shape tool a few times during this project in order to make the new Red Sox logo.

While I’m happy with the way this advertisement came out, there are some things that I wish I could have fixed, like the color of the sky in the Fenway Park picture. I saturated the color of the sky slightly, but when I tried to do more, the sky became unreal looking, so I had to stop. I tried a few other things, but nothing worked the way I wanted, so I decided to keep it the way it was. All in all, I enjoyed working on this project and getting to know the Photoshop basics.



{March 1, 2010}   *Project #3*

This was my favorite project so far because shooting a product seems a lot easier to do than shooting a person, and we got to be really creative. We chose to use one of the Bath & Body Works products that I already had, and this one was my favorite. Before shooting, I went to the store and bought a few things that I thought would complement the lotion and ended up with these flowers and marbles. I think the white of the flowers and the green/blue of the marbles works really well against the product. Because the lotion was a shimmer lotion, I also brought a can of shimmer mist to the shoot and we used that to spray down all the flowers, the marbles, and the product.

The toughest part about this project was finding all the equipment that we would need. We had a hard time finding a camera and we couldn’t get a hold of a lighting kit, so we had to improvise. We ended up buying 150 Watt light bulbs and then putting them in lights that we had in our dorm rooms. We also started out using a high-powered flood light, but we didn’t like the orange tint that it gave to the picture, so we just used the 150 Watt bulbs. We had one light on the left of the product and one on the right. We played around with them until we found a picture that we liked. This picture was the best out of about 100 pictures, and I’m really proud of it.



et cetera